Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
trigger1937
Regular MemberPosts: 239Gear list
Like?
How do YOU control DOF on FZ1000
3 weeks ago

I posted a note the other day titled "FZ1000 through the Window" and I've had on a few comments but nothing about the real question and that is "How do you control the Depth of Field on our zoom shots.   To me this is a very important question since if you are shooting any subject at full or partial zoom it is very critical that you get all of the subject in focus.   At close distances like 10 feet the DOF is only a couple of inches and part of the subject will be out of focus.  Even at 20' the DOF at F4 is only 2" (1' up front and 1" behind").   This camera is Auto set at F4 and must manually changed to get it up to F8.

Is it better to shoot in Aperture mode to control this or do you have an alternate approach.  I have attached the image of the "Fawn" that I shot and hopefully I'll get some more comments and suggestions.

This fawn is only 1 week old.  It is late in the season to be born.  Lucky he survived the heat.

He was moving when I took this shot so I'm very happy it is as good as it is.  You can see the other shots of his mom in my other note.

Please give me any feedback you can on how you control DOF.

trigger1937's gear list:trigger1937's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Canon EOS 450D
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow