Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KeithinTadley
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
NEX-6 - changing lenses 'in the wild'
4 months ago

In days gone by, I had a 'chemical camera'. Changing lenses was a bit of a pain (depending on circumstances and dedication) but the worst outcome was some dust on the mirror, easily removed but no big deal anyway.

Fast forward, I've had a succession of digital cameras and now about to upgrade to an NEX-6. Wife bought one 6 months ago, I've used it, perfect for walking and mountain biking, being (relatively) small and light with the 16-50 kit, case fits without hindrance on my rucksack belt. Totally pleased with its low-light performance, superb EVF, and I always use the electronic spirit level (why downgrade the EVF and remove the spirit level on the A6000? - but that's an aside.....) I'm reasonably discerning but not a pixel-peeper, so that the on-screen (on a big monitor) sharpness of the 16-50 is perfectly acceptable. I've used ACR (for both RAW and jpeg processing) and I'm getting more proficient thanks to this forum and other sites, such as Adobe's own.

I'd like to get an additional lens to extend the zoom range, to, say, 150-200 or more (FF equivalent) for those times when weight and bulk are less of an issue. My choices are the 55-210, the 18-105 or 18-200. Optically, any would probably suffice, but..... here's the question for you ladies and gents out there who are far more experienced than myself. How problematic are lens changes, in terms of speed and dust incursion? (are mirror-less CSCs worse than full-fledged DSLRs?). Because my choices come down to changing the lens at home (18-105, 18-200) or 'in the wild' (55-210). As it happens, I have an old Camera Care Systems (remember them?) lens bag which would be fine for the 55-210 on my rucksack belt. The extra weight of a bag+55-210 lens wouldn't be a problem if I'm not hiking long sitance or on my MTB. But will I end up needing a sensor clean every few months? You see my dilemma?

Thanks

Keith

KeithinTadley's gear list:KeithinTadley's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Sony Alpha NEX-6
Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow