Anyone else find the D810 AF-ON button a dissappointment???

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
westerner
Contributing MemberPosts: 893Gear list
Like?
Anyone else find the D810 AF-ON button a dissappointment???
4 months ago

Not to nitpick a seemingly great camera body, but about the only real issue I can find in my limited (2 days) use, is the AF-ON button. The one on my now sold D700 was quite a bit more comfortable for extended shooting. It required less "push" to engage, traveled further upon pressing, and the center of the button felt like it stuck out a bit more. It also seemed a tad larger, but that could just be because of the shape and feel of the button itself.

The D810's button just feels more difficult to operate to me. More spring force to overcome when pressing and a button that is nearly flush with the surrounding plastic so that your thumb is pressing against the button and the surrounding area around the button. It feels like it takes more force to keep it depressed than the D700 did, which will likely fatigue your thumb faster.

Seems like a trivial thing to gripe about, and I'm sure I will get used to it in time, but still feel it could have been improved, rather than made worse. Maybe others don't see it this way, and I know there are many who don't even use the button much, but rather use shutter button AF. I'd like to hear opinions from those who do use this button primarily. What do you suppose would be a proper modification to improve the feel? Maybe a small rubber stick-on "button" stuck to the original button to make it protrude further out? What are your thoughts, D810 owners?

-- hide signature --

K.B.

westerner's gear list:westerner's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +6 more
Nikon D700 Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow