Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rob Sims
Regular MemberPosts: 479Gear list
Like?
No minimum shutter speed --> My simple workaround
2 months ago

So a few weeks ago I asked for help in the overcoming a problem which many of you are no-doubt familiar with - the lack of control over minimum shutter speed:  http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3709982

I just wanted to update you with the solution (or more of a workaround) that I'm using.

My issue is that I always want full DoF control, so shoot 90% of the time in A-priority... but I'm also lazy so allow Auto-ISO, which has worked well with most of my manual lenses (all <50mm), right up until I bought a 90mm F2.5.  I then ran into the problem that Sony's default minimum shutter speed when shooting 'without lens' is 1/60.  I'm just not good enough to get clean shots at that speed and really needed 1/90 or 1/100.

My work around is simply to pre-set up S-priority at 1/100.  I then carry on using A-priority right up to the point I notice that shutter speeds have dropped to 1/60.  One simple click of the mode dial to S-priority and then I can happily continue snapping away.  If at any point I spot over-exposure, one click back to A-priority and all is well.

Shot last night, with pretty dismal lighting conditions:

Shutter locked at 1/100 (AutoISO selected 4000!)

Hope that helps anyone else.

-- hide signature --
 Rob Sims's gear list:Rob Sims's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +9 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow