Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nimec
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
[D7100] So I finally picked up a Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8
3 weeks ago

Found a camera store in a different city around 2 hours away that carried it so I decided to make the trip to check it out. I have 7 days to return it/14 days to exchange it, so I pretty much have to decide this week if I am going to keep it. Unfortunately they did not sell the Sigma USB dock, so I'll have to get that online and hope it comes before the weekend.

My first tests so far definitely show that this lens has a big time back focusing problem. I had my wife stand a few feet in front of a tree about 10-12 feet from me and sure enough her face was out of focus in nearly all of the test shots. When there is no background behind subjects (or its is very very far away) it seems to do a lot better.

When I tried using live view to focus, it seemed to nail focus every single time. Obviously there is problem between the optical auto focus system and the lens.

The second thing I noticed is that when shooting through the viewfinder that a lot of the time the camera over exposes pictures, however when shooting through live view it doesn't. I put the camera in a stationary position on 'A' mode and with the exact same scene it was selecting a shutter speed of 1/120 through the viewfinder and 1/200 with live view. As mentioned live views picture looked flawless but the viewfinder was very noticeably over exposed.

So I have to say I am very disappointed with my initial impressions. When using Live View this lens is a dream, it's a damn shame I can't get similar results with the veiwfinder.

I'm not sure how much the USB dock will help, and I'm not sure if I want to order one hoping it solves my problems or if I should return the lens outright next weekend.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow