Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,376Gear list
Like?
Thoughts: D610 vs D7100
2 months ago

So after much debating, im down to a few cameras (upgrading from a GX7 in MFT). Here's the deal. I can stretch my money and likely get a D610, but won't have much left for lenses, I would likely only get the 50 1.8 for the next several months. A D7100 would allow me to get another high quality lens and a few things like grip and spare battery. Pretending the lenses aren't an issue, and only comparing the cameras, here are my thoughts.

My question revolves around two features, (FYI im asking here in the FF section because I figured D610 owners were more likely to have owned a D7100 rather than the other way around). First, is the AF on the D7100 (51pt) going to be much, if any, better than the D610? If so, in what ways? Secondly, with the same resolution and the LPF missing on the D7100, can it come close to the resolutions at lower ISO as the 610? (with same lenses attached).

Surprisingly my wife wants me to get whichever is "better", even if it means spending more on the FF. But, I shoot a lot of low ISO, specifically with flash, and having been a former K5IIs owner I know that the AA missing helps with resolution when all other factors are clean. So at base ISO, will that missing AA help even things out, or will the D610 offer more detail simply from a larger sensor with higher SNR?

If there's anything else that should be mentioned please do. Im aware the SNR of the D610 at base ISO is a good chunk higher than the 7100 (DXO says 45.5 vs 41.7), but it's hard to guess how much a difference that will make up for when one has AA and the other doesn't. FYI I am a proud pixel peeper and tend to crop a lot, which is why im somewhat concerned with low ISO fine detail. Again, I know most agree that I should worry more about lenses, and that will be taken care of, my questions are only concerning comparing the cameras with the same lenses. Thanks in advance!!

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Nikon D610 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow