Anyone else find themselves shooting more and more with manual exposure settings?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
The Sparrow
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
Anyone else find themselves shooting more and more with manual exposure settings?
3 months ago

Could be its the red wine talking, but especially on bright sunny days I find myself more and more shooting fully manually for exposure.

I like the real time feedback on the LCD and will tweak my settings of aperture and shutter speed until I get just the right 'feel' of mood before I click the shutter. Too often the camera's automatic attempts to find the right exposure ends up messing up the 'feel' of the lighting I saw through my eye, and overriding is required to 'fix' things. This is especially prominent (for me) when outdoor shooting on bright cloudless days. Letting the camera choose the exposure results in 'hard' blown out brights and muted color. Stopping down a bit or cranking up the shutter speed brings things back to earth and warms up the colors.

Thoughts?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow