a7 + LA-EA4 (+ Sigma 35 ART and Zeiss 135 1.8) thoughts...

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Harry S
Regular MemberPosts: 434
Like?
a7 + LA-EA4 (+ Sigma 35 ART and Zeiss 135 1.8) thoughts...
4 months ago

I've had my a7 for about a month now and I couldn't be happier with it. Weirdly I've gone down the route of adding the LA-EA4 and just using Alpha mount lenses.

An odd decision to some, perhaps (most people seem to think you buy mirrorless to have a smaller system), but the purchase was never about size, I've moved from a D600 andI loved using Fuji X gear for a while last year so I wanted a combination of D600 image quality with mirrorless benefits such as hr EVF, all the MF focusing aids and most importantly the tilting screen as I love shooting low.

I now have the following kit...

• Sigma 35mm 1.4 ART (I had this on my Nikon D600, it's my all-time favourite lens)
  • Zeiss 135mm 1.8 (used slightly less, but has that 'wow' factor every time)

Both work beautifully on the LA-EA4 and balance surprisingly well, the lump that is the LA-EA4 really helps to spread the weight and offers a nice solid base to hold onto. Obviously it's moving well into DSLR size territory (but definitely lighter), so of little use if you were hoping to free up space in your camera bag.

AF is surprisingly, wonderfully quick in pretty much any light. I've used an FE55 and 28-70 and the Sigma 35mm 1.4 is noticeably quicker than both. the big ol' 135 is a little slower (and a lot noisier) being screw driven, but still plenty quick enough.

The next few shots are with the 135mm 1.8, Continuous AF through changing light in fairly dark conditions. I had roughly 150 cars driving towards me and I nailed every single one of them, even focusing on the stones they were kicking up when I wanted something a little different...

The Sigma 35mm 1.4 ART needs little introduction. I actually traded the FE55 in for this as I really didn't get on with that, not a fan of how it rendered at all, so I'm back at my preferred focal length and as mentioned before it's definitely quicker to focus than the native FE55.

A few general samples...

Focus peaking works well with the 135 1.8 considering there are few lenses this long and fast, this was MF due to shooting a bokeh panorama...

Full size samples can be found here... https://www.flickr.com/photos/harry_s/

The 70-300 G SSM is up next for some motorsport action (once the small matter of having a baby is sorted, due in 2 days!), looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow