Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
YRUNVS
Regular MemberPosts: 265Gear list
Like?
Finally grabbed a 50 1.2AI
4 months ago

I've had my eye on the 50 1.2 for a while. I've been intrigued with it but not sure I wanted to spend the 500 they typically seem to go for. Recently one popped up at Adorama for ~350 so I jumped on it. This is an older lens so it only has 7 aperture blades, but I am happy with the trade off on price. I wont try to dissect its performance as there are many reviews out there already, and I largely agree with what I've read. I will say the glow that is often mentioned when using this lens at 1.2 reminds me of the effect of using the defocus control on my 135 DC.

I've only had the lens for a couple of days and it is proving a joy to use.  Focusing isn't as difficult as I feared, and it has proved sharper wide open than I thought it would be. I though 1.2 would be useful when ISO is into 5 digits and the light gathering would offset noise and absolute lens sharpness would be a minor concern. I am still learning the lens and using 1.4 more often than 1.2 until I get the hang of how to quickly and accurately use the focusing aid at 1.2.

A few of my shots over the last couple days:

YRUNVS's gear list:YRUNVS's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +9 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow