Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
revaaron
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,592
Like?
So I rented a Petzval
2 months ago

These are all from my Nikon D4. I can't wait to mess around with on the Kodak SLR/n. I think those 2 might get married.

Lensprotogo had the Petzval and I had some time off work. I also have a little model who was less than compliant the past 2 days. I'm hoping to get out with it at night. The lens is really weird and I found that at f/2.2, it's so hard to get in focus. I'm going to try it with the other inserts in.

I really want to get a 3d printer and print some inserts for it... I mean, some non-circles might have a cool effect.

Some things to think about,

1) it's hard to manual focus. At least for me. I end up zooming in on the live preview and feel dumb doing it. Plus, if you zoom in too much, you mistake lens character for OOF. The character reminds me a lot of this t/s russian lens I bought years ago and never really used.

2) the insert to keep dust out is FREAKING ANNOYING. If you keep the lens pointed down and zoom all the way in, it locks it, but if the outside element shifts, the dust cover goes away.

3) make sure you have a lot of highlights in the background. This lens shines when you have tons of weird highlights and crap in the background. I want to try it with xmas tree lights.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow