Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OrdinarilyInordinate
Contributing MemberPosts: 647Gear list
Like?
Matte screen protectors for NX cameras - a success story
3 months ago

Just wanted to share my experience. I thought I would get a screen protector for my NX300M, as it does have a fairly large touch screen, and in the absence of EVF, the screen is a very important element--I don't want it scuffed up to affect the ease of focusing and evaluation in the future. With those thoughts, I almost ordered a regular screen protector. I've been using IllumiShield clear protectors for my Yoga 2 Pro laptop and my cell phone, as they are cheap and very highly rated on Amazon (though they do have an issue of shipping in bubble envelopes, which can cause damage in shipment, but customer service is really amazing). I then decided to try their matte version for this camera, as, well, visibility in sunlight with auto brightness is pretty bad.

I ordered a pack made for a tablet, with 3 protectors per pack, and then cut a protector to size. I figured this was the most cost-effective path, as each "sheet" can actually fit up to 3 screens. Times 3 sheets. After applying the protector, it's indeed very nicely matte. Touch capability is not affected, as with the crystal clear versions. Matte looks great indoors. Outdoors, the contrast is slightly reduced but I can actually see in bright sunlight, regardless of direction! I've tried shooting toward the sun and away from the sun, and in all cases, I can actually see what's on my screen. It's not perfect, and depending on how bright it is out, the contrast is definitely reduced, but it's much much better than it was before the protector. Before that, I could barely see anything at all until I got in the shade.

So anyway, I can strongly recommend a matte screen protector for your cameras. If you're okay with doing the measuring and cutting (I placed a sheet of protector over the camera (before peeling the protective layers off) and used a ruler and a marker to line the areas to cut, then rounded the corners slightly). It's best to make the rectangle slightly smaller than the screen, so all of the protector fits onto the screen surface and none of the edges are lifting. Just pick a brand/product with good reviews and see if you can buy larger size multipacks for the same money, so if you mess up once or twice, you still have plenty of protector to go (plus for future reapplications).

OrdinarilyInordinate's gear list:OrdinarilyInordinate's gear list
Samsung NX300M Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow