Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 19,262
Like?
New Metabones adapters for canon EF
4 months ago

Sounds interesting, but they remain a bit pricey for me - having an EF lens talk to the camera body is essential to make them work otherwise there is no aperture control and they work wide open.  So the fact that they do this is no mean achievement.

I have been a fan of Metabones and other Chinese focal reducer adapters on the Sony E mount for a while and they do give serious advantages. For some time there have been various "dumb" focal reducer adapters available for M4/3 but an electronic EF adapter is new.

I think I would be more inclined to wait a bit longer for AF to be included but such EF capability on the Sony E ranges from reasonably quick for lighter wide angle lenses to desperately slow on longer heavier lenses to non-existent on lenses pre-2006 manufacture - although some other Chinese focal reducers do manage to get pre-2006 Canon EF lenses to do AF.

Kudos to Metabones for leading the way.  I cannot wait to get a AF focal reducer to M4/3 so that I can strap my GM1 to my Canon 400mm f2.8 just for the heck of it (grin).

In fact one might wonder what specific benefit Canon EF lenses might have on M4/3 other than on the faux-dslr style bodies.  On such bodies I suggest Canon will soon rue their lack of attention to a pro-level mirrorless body of their own. I can only suggest that when Canon does finally release such a camera body it will be a signal that even Canon agrees that the dslr concept is on the slippery slope.  A sort of ostrich syndrome - maybe with a head in the sand the problem might go away?

If they really believed that the dslr was forever then it would do them no harm to release a parallel line of pro-level mirrorless camera bodies (and let the market decide) - surely they make enough confusing versions of the dslr already - and I must admit that they do make them very well.

PS: Disclaimer - Brian C and I are not related or connected in any commercial way - I respect his optical knowledge greatly and admit to having none myself.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow