ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Aian
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Enough with the noise and grain
2 months ago

Hello to all

About 9 months ago, I started a thread asking about your opinions on changing my gear.

Due to some financial obstacles, I never went down the route I had decided then. Probably this was a good outcome though.

I am ready for a new body, as the G3 has started to show me it's weaknesses the more I get into photography. I have had enough with noise, or grain, having to do NR in Lightroom to any photo other than what is a brightly lit scene, even at ISO160.

I have a sample as it came out of the camera. The file is almost 20MB, RAW. Here  's a link to download it if you want.

Here's the equipment I have at the moment:

- Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3
- 14-42mm Lumix G VARIO f/3.5-5.6 ASPH MEGA OIS (kit with the cam when bought)
- Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5 UMC Fisheye
- Konica Hexanon AR 50mm 1.8 with adapter

Ideally, I'd like to keep the Samyang.

I am interested in both day and night landscape photography and long exposures. Architecture and HDR is in the game as well. Portraits are now rare, so not a selling point for me. And none of the above in a professional level, it's just my hobby. Here 's my FlickR page to see my subjecys (if that will help you help me).

So here's the questions:

1. What camera body should I be looking for?
  2. If you downloaded and saw the sample file above, do you think this is an acceptable noise level? Am I too picky with noise/grain?
  3. Should I move to DSLR to drop the cost I need to pay to avoid noise? I really wanted to avoid that as the small size of m43 is so helpful. But if the cost of a good body that will provide as little noise as possible is beyond my reach, I think I'll have to take the road of a lower cost DSLR.

Your advice is very welcome

Regards

Alexander

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow