Anyone make a jump from one system to another, selling off $1000s in lenses etc? How painful was it?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CreeDo
Contributing MemberPosts: 728Gear list
Like?
Anyone make a jump from one system to another, selling off $1000s in lenses etc? How painful was it?
4 months ago

I don't want to start a fanboy war, but I started out with Canon, it's time to buy a new body, and now I'm wondering if I should use this chance to jump over to Nikon. Or possibly one of the others. Can anyone share their experience if they've made a similar switch?

I have about $2,900 in canon lenses already and I'd likely be looking at some flavor of d800 if I switched. I could probably sell one of my lenses for what I paid for it (roughly $1,000) but the rest I'd feel lucky to get half what I paid. I doubt I'd get more than $200 for the camera. So basically I could trade away all my lenses and my entry level body for just the d800 body.

I know that gear obsessing is the mark of a novice and it won't necessarily make me a better photographer. But logically, if I'm going to buy a new camera body no matter what... now is the time to think about this stuff before I invest any more money in Canon gear.

The reason I'm thinking Nikon is, correct me if I'm wrong, they seem to be making much better sensors than Canon. That seems to be 'common knowledge'. And on the DxO site, the top sensors are all dominated by Nikon and you don't see a canon until like... #30 on the charts, and it's a 1Dx which costs like $6,000. Screw that.

Is there a compelling reason I should stick with Canon, even if their sensors are clearly not as good? Maybe the gap between a good canon sensor and a good nikon is smaller than I think, and I wouldn't even notice or care about the difference?

CreeDo's gear list:CreeDo's gear list
Canon EOS 1200D Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow