SEF20A flash - good investment for $90 or get a different flash?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OrdinarilyInordinate
Contributing MemberPosts: 500Gear list
Like?
SEF20A flash - good investment for $90 or get a different flash?
2 months ago

So despite SEF42A being listed at $80 on sale at Samsung's site, it's been impossible to find at that price due to being discontinued a while ago. But I've found a SEF20A for $90 shipped ($80 + shipping), and it seems to be a reasonable portable bounce flash for my NX300M (hopefully it's fully compatible). I don't do professional photography--just amateur/hobby photography, and while the included SEF8A is okay for pet photos, it's really poor for indoor people photos--even at the lowest setting it seems to complitely obliterate darker backgrounds. The best way I've found to use it is basically shooting against window light where the background is brighter and then the flash helps from the front.

Anyway, I'd like to get bounce capability in a cheap package with some automation, and it looks like this SEF20A deal is the cheapest for that. Am I overlooking some better alternatives at similar prices?

Or should I experiment with a diffuser or an improvised bouncer with a white sheet or what not for my included SEF8A?

Also curious about battery power: SEF8A is fully dependent on the camera battery.  Do these other external flashes drain their own internal batteries mostly, thus leaving the camera battery alone?  And how fast is the battery drain for external flashes on lower settings?

Many thanks!

OrdinarilyInordinate's gear list:OrdinarilyInordinate's gear list
Samsung NX300M Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow