Semi-Pro Video: FF and F4 glass or APS-C and F2.8 glass ? Which is Better?.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ShootMeAlready
Regular MemberPosts: 204Gear list
Like?
Semi-Pro Video: FF and F4 glass or APS-C and F2.8 glass ? Which is Better?.
4 months ago

I am considering where the best bang for the buck is in a semi-pro system. I am a canon user, and target video. I have read a few articles lately that promote F4 glass as "good enough" for video.

Yet I don't find equivalent semi-pro system choices - at comparable cost - being compared?

If one were to get a Canon 6D new ($1700) or 5DMarkII used ($1600) and F4 glass, and a good price/quality set for video FF "focal lengths" (17-150mm) : Canon 17-40mm f4 ($800), Sigma 24-105 f4 ($900) , Canon 70-200 f4 ($710).

The advantage is the FF sensor, and its ability to go to higher ISO with less noise in low light. But the kicker is that F4 is still rather dark, and not so good at shallow DOF.

This would be compared with a semi-pro 70D new ($1100) or a 7D used ($800) and aps-c F2.8 higher quality glass, covering the video APS-C equivalent "focal lengths" (11-95mm): Tokina 11-16 f2.8 ($600), Sigma 18-35 f1.8 ($900), and Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 ($1000).

The advantage for the aps-c is that the comparable priced glass goes to f2.8, (even f1.8). So now we can keep the ISO lower than the FF with F4 glass. I have to believe that the F2.8 glass will win on bokeh comparisons (at least it will have an easier time to get it).

So there is the trade off, which comes down to which gets better low light shots, F4 glass with a semi-pro FF or high quality aps-c F2.8 glass with a semi-pro aps-c.??? This is the kind of question I want to know? There are no FF / F4 comparisons that I know of that target the semi-pro budget APS-C / F2.8.

And for those who like raw video via ML, all shoot raw except for the 70D, the 5DMII is best, 7D very close second, and 6D distant 3rd. Yet the 70D wins in the fast / smooth continuous auto focus category which makes up for its lack of raw in terms of value added features for DSLR video.

I suspect why this comparison is not observed, is that most folks rationalize that one should compare cameras at same F stop, or same ISO. Then of course the FF wins. But that's not the semi-pro reality, rather an asymmetric use of F-Stop & glass and camera ISO noise, is really what's of interest???

Anyone have insights or applicable results that demonstrate which semi-pro system is best???

-- hide signature --

Canon T3i+ML, 70D, Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 50-150 II f/2.8, 50 f/1.4, Canon 85 f/1.8, 55-250 f/4-5.6

ShootMeAlready's gear list:ShootMeAlready's gear list
Canon EOS 70D
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow