What to look out for when buying used glass?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Xerberus
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
What to look out for when buying used glass?
4 months ago

Hello,

I have been looking to buy some better glass for my D90 (I'm following the general advise of making lenses a priority over the body which I can still upgrade later) and found somebody to sell me the following two lenses and we agreed that I collect them soon and then pay cash directly.

The two lenses are:

- Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR (used 25x times max, says the seller)

- Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 Micro VR (used even less)

The seller says they are both at most 5 years old.

From the pictures they look good, but what should I be looking out for when inspecting them?

I'm not concerned about any outside marks, I just want the mechanics and optics to be flawless. What and how should I check exactly? Any particular things two look out for with these specific lenses?

I appreciate your helpful comments.

Xerberus

Xerberus's gear list:Xerberus's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow