What to look out for when buying used glass?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Xerberus
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
What to look out for when buying used glass?
5 months ago

Hello,

I have been looking to buy some better glass for my D90 (I'm following the general advise of making lenses a priority over the body which I can still upgrade later) and found somebody to sell me the following two lenses and we agreed that I collect them soon and then pay cash directly.

The two lenses are:

- Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR (used 25x times max, says the seller)

- Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 Micro VR (used even less)

The seller says they are both at most 5 years old.

From the pictures they look good, but what should I be looking out for when inspecting them?

I'm not concerned about any outside marks, I just want the mechanics and optics to be flawless. What and how should I check exactly? Any particular things two look out for with these specific lenses?

I appreciate your helpful comments.

Xerberus

Xerberus's gear list:Xerberus's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow