G1X - QUEEN + Adam Lambert in Concert (PICS + Video)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,043Gear list
Like?
G1X - QUEEN + Adam Lambert in Concert (PICS + Video)
1 month ago

I took my wife to see QUEEN performing live in Sydney, Australia two nights ago. Singer Adam Lambert stepped in to replace the late Freddie Mercury who passed away quite some years ago and he's pretty much the only person I can think of who can match Freddie's vocal range and style.
DSLRs were expressly forbidden at the concert. The entry conditions to the concert allowed for cell phones and "compact cameras". Upon arrival, I found a sign at the security checkpoint that prohibited any camera with a 14x or higher zoom lens capability. I'd printed a Spec Sheet on my G1X Mk1 and brought it with me to show anyone (who might challenge me) that the G1X was a "Compact Camera" and that it only had a zoom that was 4x. I also kept the G1X in my jacket pocket until I was seated.
Throughout the evening, I shot 10 minutes of HD video and I took 1,703 photographs on a single battery. I had two spares on me and didn't need either of them. To my surprise, I was able to review the images and the videos several time and still didn't even register a drop in battery strength. Three bars of juice all night. The full set of images (and these are just the ones I edited) can be found here: GALLERY OF QUEEN IMAGES from the Canon G1X
MF and AF were used. Only 3 photographs were out of focus. The laser show and vocal performances were superb. I was challenged by security within 5 minutes of the show starting. They saw that the telephoto zoom on the G1X was extended and told me "That lens is too big! You're not allowed to use this camera here!" I told them my camera was approved at the entrance and showed them the front of the camera which has "Canon Zoom Lens 4x IS" on the front. They nodded, told me "okay" and left me alone. But I felt a bit self-conscious about using the camera so I was a little cautious after that in case someone changed their mind and forced me to stop filming.
At maximum zoom, and using relatively high ISO (most were taken at ISO 2000) plus slower-than preferred shutter speeds to capture the lighting effects (combined with smoke machines and lasers), it was difficult to ensure I was getting sharp images with low grain and good exposure. But I'm happy with the results. The G1X wouldn't have been my first choice for a lowlight concert at such a distance from the stage but I captured the event as I saw it. There's a video still below with a link to some footage that I put pn YouTube after reducing the recording from 1920 x 1080 down to 960 x 540 ..... I've kept most of the detail in place after the conversion if anyone wants a look.  The rolling shutter effect can be glimpsed slightly when the lasers are panning during the performance of "Radio GaGa".
I ought to be thanking Canon for what a great little camera this continues to be.  I turned the Flip LCD around and shot from the Optical Viewfinder on two occasions so as not to irritate the people seated directly behind me during some of the more subtle lighting moments.  Not sure the Mk2 would have afforded me the same convenience without manually turning the LCD off altogether.  I'd happily shoot more video with this camera.  It was fairly simple to use.  I've only briefly experimented with this camera for video one afternoon a couple of years ago.

.........................................................................................

G1X - VIDEO STILL - see link below for YouTube link

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE G1X VIDEO FOOTAGE of the QUEEN Concert...

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.
www.pbase.com/nero_design

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III +7 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow