Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SelimTheDream
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
Switching from Canon (7D) to Nikon (D7000). Could use some help
4 months ago

Hi all.  As the title says I am planning to switch to Nikon system.  Actually I did this change while back, from Canon 60D to Nikon D7000, but i was unhappy with the results and switched back to Nikon.  I have used quite a few different cameras over the past few years because at various times I needed to sell my camera/gear for cash and I bought another one when I was financially stable.  My finances took a large hit lately because I was unemployed for a few months and I am getting back on my feet.  I also got a newborn baby whose photos I want to take and photos cams or compacts are out of question.  Before I ask my main questions I would like to talk about my last switch a bit.  I believe I wasn't fair to Nikon back then, there are even posts on this forum about that time.

My first DSLR was a Canon 450D with 18-55 kit lens which I had upgraded to Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 after a couple of months.  About 2 years after I bought the 60D and added Canon 85mm f1.8 to my collection at that time.  I was really happy with my results especially with the sharpness and conrast of the images I took.  But I always had my eye on the D7000 since it came out and when I had the chance to make some money with it I decided to go for it.  I sold my canon gear and bought the Nikon D7000 with the 18-105 kit lens and added Tamron 70-300 VC USD to my collection soon after.  But even though the images had great dynamic and awesome colors they always seemed too soft compared to the Canon system.  I always found myself looking back on images I took with the 60D even with the 450D.  After only a few months I found myself switching back to Canon, this time a 7D with Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and Canon 50mm f1.8.  After going back to Canon I was very happy with the sharpness of my images though the dynamic range and colors lacked a bit compared to the Nikon D7000.  I know I made the mistake of comparing kit lens to the better quality Tamron lens or even the primes.  I understand that better now when I look back.

I have been without a DSLR for a few months now and I decided to buy the D7000, wish I could go for the D7100 but that's out of my range atm.  I am hoping to add Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 or a 50mm prime to my collection as my first lens.

If you read through all that I thank you very much for your patience.  Here come to my actual question.  Any suggestions about nikon systems?  Not right away but I will be adding some lenses to my collection eventually and can you guys suggest any low budget lenses that would do well when taking portrait shots? I expect taking baby shots to be majority of my photos so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I realize I made a mistake before and tried to race a highly modified Honda Civic with a out of factory Toyota Corolla.  I am trying to be more open minded now and would appreciate any constructive advice.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow