Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PalmettoFellow
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?
Canon 70D will not fire 3rd party flash in live view with silent mode
4 weeks ago

Disclaimer: I'm sure all of this is covered in the manual, but who's going to read that damn thing?

So I was about this close > < to returning my 70 thinking the hotshoe was defective. I couldn't get it to fire in live view. I eventually got it to work and realized that I was looking through the viewfinder. Going back to live view, and the flash refused to fire.

After some searching, I found a thread here from 2011 which explains that the 60D has this same problem. For some reason, when Silent Mode 1 or 2 is enabled, the hotshoe doesn't fire.

here's that thread.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2949614

It's mentioned there that the camera auto-detects a Canon flash and disables silent mode, but with 3rd Party flashes, Silent Mode must be disabled manually.

I assume this is related to the shutter being open in Live View...and the opening of the shutter is needed to trigger the flash. So does this mean in live view, when you press the shutter button, does the shutter close and reopen? What about Silent Mode 1? What about Mode 2? Is there any mirror movement in these modes?

PalmettoFellow's gear list:PalmettoFellow's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +1 more
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow