Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,625Gear list
Like?
Experimenting with the FZ1000 EX files size and IZoom
2 months ago

So I was reading the manual and it stated that in order to use the EX zoom feature, which would NOT degrade the picture quality and give greater zoom range than the standard 400mm, I had to try it out. So I set the file size to the EX 10mp size, set the IZoom to ON and extended it all the way and shot this. The hospital in the picture is about 3 1/2 miles as the crow flies from where I shot this. I did find that due to not only heat distortion coming from the ground along the way due to 90+ degree temperatures here, best results are rendered at about 50% of the native file size, so I resized the native file in Irfanview to 50% and this is what you get. I found it quite effective in getting closer to the subject, and at these settings it renders excellent resolution and detail without any artifacts. Even the verticle slats on the aluminum HVAC facilities housings on top of the hospital appear quite well. you can read the signs far off in the distance at the shopping plaza well behind which is another couple of miles away. This is a good option for times when you need more reach but don't want digital artifacts to creep in. Just a fast cheap and dirty test, hope you like what you see. Do try it out for yourselves on the FZ1000, I think you'll also find it quite worthy of using from time to time.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ1000 Camera, Nissin i40 Flash for 4/3rds, B+W MRC Nano ND-Vario 5 Stop ND Filter,Hoya Moose Warming Circular Polarizer, Picturecode PhotoNinja, NIK Google Collection, Adobe Lightroom 5.6 2 DMW-BLC12 Batteries and Watson Dual Charger

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow