Better low-light performance with NEX7 - why?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gkstar
Regular MemberPosts: 234Gear list
Like?
Better low-light performance with NEX7 - why?
1 month ago

I have the 6k and Nex7 at the moment. When I match settings, I see better overall low-light quality from N7 - what am I doing wrong? These are jpegs OOC, matched ISO at 400 and A=f4, both cameras have High ISO NR set to Normal, and long exposure NR to ON. In the examples below: solid colours have less noise on the 6k but the lighter smaller objects (like the window handle) look cleaner and smoother on the N7 while they appear with fuzzy edges and noisier on the 6k. The outlet has less noise on the 6k but looks as though it is a bit out of focus (not the case though, it is the fuzzy edges), while with the N7 it shows better.

This is quite representative of what I saw in a few other test I have done in low light - in and outside.

A6000

NEX 7

Two more examples outside - note how the small windows on the garage door and the house number plate above are rendered in either case:

A6000

Nex7

gkstar's gear list:gkstar's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS LE Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow