Olympus: how could they earn my money? Panny: how could they keep it?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,035Gear list
Like?
Olympus: how could they earn my money? Panny: how could they keep it?
3 weeks ago

I like MFT, there are many good things about the entire system. Mainly Olympus and Panasonic. The lenses, the features, it's as good of a system as I could ask for. But there are a few things that still could be improved. Panasonic for one could offer a cam without the AA filter, like the EM1. I don't know if they think this will mess with their video chops though, perhaps that's the case. I also wish I had the IBIS of the EM1/5 in my GX7. I see no reason they can't offer a more stills oriented line, aside from their GHx line, that may sacrifice some video for the above features. In a way that's what the GX7 already is, why not take it a step further?

Olympus on the other hand has just as much going for it. I do insist on having a cam that is better for video, but I would likely keep my GX7 for just that, so that wouldn't dissuade me from buying Oly. If Olympus would just offer silent mode in a camera like an EM5, it would be the perfect solution. Amazing IBIS for use with any lens, including the fastest non stabilized primes I tend to prefer over zooms. Filterless cameras like an EM1 (or weak AA like EM5). AF of both brands is now coming into it's own, so no issues there.

I often think of getting an EM5 as my main camera, but then I remember I often shoot at slower SS indoors. Im big on small details and sharpness, and im not buying a camera that doesn't at least have EFCS (silent mode + 5 axis IBIS would mean amazing slow SS shots in low light). E shutter is the perfect mate for IBIS. Seems from here going forward, if they would just include E shutter, they could create the perfect MFT camera. From stealth shots to increasing the life of your shutter (important for example, with time lapse), to maximizing slow SS shots, this is the last piece of the puzzle for Olympus to get my money.

I would rather have silent mode than better IBIS/AA removal, which is why I currently own a GX7, but that's one feature and one feature only that Olympus needs. The have already used Panasonic sensors so it can't be an issue of hardware. I really like MFT as a system, more than any other, but I want both of these companies to finish the Job, anybody else feel the same?

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow