Got a great deal on a 40D, is there a sharpness issue?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mechx1009
Regular MemberPosts: 147
Like?
Got a great deal on a 40D, is there a sharpness issue?
4 months ago

Hi everyone, don't post here much, but long time lurker. I wanted to see if any past/present 40D owners have ever had any sharpness issues that was not technique related...yes I know sharpness is subjective. Shutter speed, lens, f stop, pixel peeping, etc, etc. it goes on and on I know.

However, I have read where a few users did in fact have sharpness issues with the 40D, sent the camera back to canon for adjustment and it came back much sharper, (Focus calibration I assume). So I was just interested if anyone can chime in about any sharpness issues they had and how did you rectify the issue? I'm sure most is due to lack of technique, settings, raw or JPEG, etc, etc.

I've checked a ton of photos on flickr and some review sites, some look great, but about 1/2 look, at least to me, less than stellar in regards to sharpness. I also read where the 40D has a pretty strong sensor filter to prevent moire and a lot of users bump the in camera sharpness to 5, 6 and even 7 to produce acceptable results. I'm ok with that I suppose. I am more of a JPEG shooter...I'm not too thrilled to hear that a lot of 40D owners must shoot raw and PP with unsharp mask... It is what it is I know, but a little concerned the 40D is soft. I used to have a 20D a few years back and loved it...

Anyway, please chime in with opinions, curious to hear from folks...thanks in advance.

Canon EOS 40D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow