Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MikeInOr
Contributing MemberPosts: 507Gear list
Like?
Wow, found a Beercan!!!
2 months ago

Back in 1985 my father purchased one of the first Maxxum 7000's in Oregon.  It came with a 50mm 1.8 kit lens.  This is the camera I learned photography on in highschool and college.  After some persuasion I talked my dad into adding a telephoto zoom to the kit.

For nearly 30 years I just assumed he had purchased the cheaper 70-210 F3.5-4.5 (well at least since I learned there were 2 versions of 70-210's).  I pulled it out tonight and was shocked to find out the lens is the venerable 70-210 f4 Beercan!  I am really shocked!  I actually had to look up a picture of a Beercan because I didn't believe I was reading the writing on the lens correctly that it was a constant f4.  I can't wait to take it out tomorrow and compare it to my Sony 55-300!  I know a Beercan will only bring $100 or so these days but I will admit to wanting to pick one up since I purchased my first DSLR, an A33, a couple of years ago just to see what all the hype was about if nothing else.  I think I can safely rate my Beercan as mint!  I can personally attest that it has had an UV or Circular polarizer on it since it was new.

I have taken many, many shots with this Beercan on 35mm film.  I only used it a few times with my A33.  I don't yet have a single photo with it using my A77 since I purchased my 55-300 shortly after I purchased my A77.

MikeInOr's gear list:MikeInOr's gear list
Sony SLT-A33 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony 20mm F2.8 Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow