Would this be considered too much noise?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Mr McClicky
Regular MemberPosts: 193
Like?
Re: Would this be considered too much noise?
In reply to wyldberi, 4 months ago

wyldberi wrote:

Mr McClicky wrote:

Thank you for the critique wyldberj, I retouched it in iPhoto.

Can you give me advise on quickly focusing on subjects like flying insects that can be in front of my lens in one moment and gone the next. I guess my inexperience doesn't allow to get the proper settings fast enough to not miss the shot. Having either more time or obtaining the proper camera settings faster would help me in getting better critical focus on these types of subjects. Any focus tips would be highly appreciated. Thanks again wyldberj.

Rafael

Question: Why are birds in flight such a popular subject with so many photographers?

Answer: They don't have enough experience to do a good job photographing insects alight.

Seriously, think of how difficult it is to kill an ordinary house fly with a fly swatter. Most flying insects are incredibly active, don't sit still for any long period of time, and have a nervous system hard wired to detect movement efficiently enough that they can avoid predators like bats and dragonflies.

As already mentioned, I believe the secret lies in the pre-planning that goes on before a subject comes into range. Obviously, you want to go to where the types of insects you want to photograph will be found. When you get there you can do things like set up your exposure for the prevailing conditions. You want to have a fast shutter speed, so a lens with a fast aperture is needed, f/2.8 to f/1.4. One of the reasons you want a lens with an aperture this wide is because most lenses produce sharper images when they're stopped down by two or three stops. A fast lens gives you more headroom to do this than a lens whose largest aperture begins at f/3.5 or 4.0.

Set up your autofocus so that the camera responds as quickly and as accurately as possible when you half-press the shutter. On my camera, I can choose the autofocus point from a grid with I don't know how many points to choose from; I usually keep mine on the center point. I can also make the focus square larger or smaller; for insects, you obviously need the smallest possible due to the size of your subjects.

When you're ready with all that, pick out a spot and wait. Since you have some time to spare, set up a custom white balance while you wait; take some test shots of where you think you'll have some activity. There's not much more you can do that I can think of. Don't be disappointed if you fail to get the shots you want. No one nails every shot, but as we gain more experience we collect more keepers, mostly because we know how to anticipate the types of shots we're interested in.

Thanks for the thoughtful, detailed response.  It seem like a great deal of patience,luck, skill and creativity. I would love to see some of your samples do you display anywhere?  Thanks again.

Rafe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow