ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ian Leach
Senior MemberPosts: 1,223
Like?
Pentax stop designing new cameras and start designing lenses
3 weeks ago

Now the K-S1 is official.....

For a long time Pentax has given more bang for the buck than Canikon in their cameras, but with lenses it’s a different story. Maybe this is where they are actually falling over. I know everyone here loves the ltd’s but Pentax needs more than a limited audience.

How about a sensibly priced 24mm and 28mm at f2.8? Canon sell one of each with IS and USM for £450 and £410. They also have a 20mm f2.8 with USM for £410 making a good range at the wider end.

Pentax has a 21mm with no IS and No USM (SDM) is f3.2, cost £450 and sample images from the Canon lenses look better to me. The small size of the 21mm may be appealing to some but I think many would prefer something a little bigger, which would look more in tune with the camera size. Then we jump up to 31mm at a cost of £1000 plus, nothing in between.

Then there is the kit lens which is old, out resolved by many other manufactures kits and is now stuck on a 20mp sensor. In fact, if you ignore speed, some kit lenses would make the da* 16-50mm look a bit soft around the edges.

I don’t think it is the cameras that stop people buying into Pentax; it’s the rest of the system or lack of it.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow