ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MolecularMan
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
Life after Olympus e-pm1?
4 months ago

A little background..

I have always had an interest in photography, but only had the hundred dollar p&s cameras.  I especially wanted a nicer camera once I found out we were having our first child, but wasn't ready or able to spend much money.

I ended up getting a decent deal on the E-PM1 with the kit lens.   I have since learned as much as possible about photography.  Learning a lot about the rule of thirds, the relationship between ISO, shutter speed and aperture as well as dof.  I still have a ton to learn,  but I now feel more more capable and knowledgeable about photography. I shoot RAW and edit photos with photoshop (I have used photoshop for years, so I'm fairly comfortable with it).

So now I have reached the point where I am looking for something more.   The E-PM1 with the kit lens is far too slow.   ISO past 800-1600 is way too noisy,  so even in moderate light conditions I get too much motion blur from a wiggly newborn, and I can't jack up the ISO enough to compensate without all the noise.

I am on a budget (who isn't) and I think I will benefit most from a fast prime lens.  However, those aren't cheap on the m4/3 system.

I am looking at  3-400 bucks just for the lens,  when I could potentially upgrade to a dslr (maybe pentax K500/50 or Nikon, plus a fast prime for only a few hundred more.

The OMD-EM10 makes me drool, but again, I think I'd still need the fast prime lens which would then put me close to a grand.

Is there something I'm not considering?   It seems like going to the dslr will offer everything I need, and at a cheaper price than the mirrorless system.   Are there any mirrorless cameras/lenses that will perform better than the E-PM1, but won't break the bank?

Thanks!

Olympus PEN E-PM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow