Would this be considered too much noise?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Mr McClicky
Regular MemberPosts: 193
Like?
Re: Would this be considered too much noise?
In reply to wyldberi, 4 months ago

wyldberi wrote:

Like others have said, the issue for me isn't noise, it's the focus that's off.

Experimenting with DOF is fine; selecting a DOF that's appropriate for the subject is another issue. In this photo, the dragonfly has two distinctive features: the head & eyes are one; the wings are another, equally important feature.

I would have placed the smallest focus point possible along the insect's back behind the head and forward of the wings. I would want the DOF to be deep enough to get both the head and wings in sharp focus.

IMO the importance of blurring the background is always secondary to getting the subject in focus. Also, blurring foreground objects in the frame can create a problem all its own. A blurred object in front of the subject easily attracts the viewer's attention; it introduces an element of visual confusion into the image that leads the viewer's eye to the object. This seems to be exacerbated when the object touches the edge of the frame.

If the first image is an accurate representation of the original, I think you did a good and tasteful job with the PP retouching.

Thank you for the critique wyldberj, I retouched it in iPhoto.

Can you give me advise on quickly focusing on subjects like flying insects that can be in front of my lens in one moment and gone the next.  I guess my inexperience doesn't allow to get the proper settings fast enough to not miss the shot.  Having either more time or obtaining the proper camera settings faster would help me in getting better critical focus on these types of subjects.  Any focus tips would be highly appreciated.  Thanks again wyldberj.

Rafael

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow