Thoughts on chroma key backgrounds

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
Mr McClicky
Regular MemberPosts: 154
Like?
Re: Thoughts on chroma key backgrounds
In reply to AlbertInFrance, 3 weeks ago

AlbertInFrance wrote:

OK, start with giving us some information.

How would you describe your skill level as a photographer? Do you know when, why and how to shoot in aperture priority, shutter priority or fully manual?

What camera do you use at the moment? How long have you had a reasonable digital camera?

Have you any experience with using digital post processing software, such as Lightroom, Photoshop, Aperture?

How much computer experience do you have?

What lighting equipment do you own or plan to buy in the next few weeks?

How many studio portraits have you taken? Can you post a sample?

I'll leave aside the business side of being a freelance photographer, but I suggest that you browse through a few pages worth of threads in the Pro Digital Talk forum.

Believe it or not, I'd like you to succeed. I just have a nasty feeling that you see 'chroma key' as a magic bullet to give you an edge over the competition.

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.
Most people are more interested in the picture than the image.

Hello Albert, thanks for the well wishes and for taking the time to respond to my request. Your response is quite a bit to digest so I'll just stick your questions toward the end of your post and hopefully that will be enough to move the conversation forward.

I would consider myself a beginner/intermediate photographer. I think that I do know when to use the priority settings just not quickly enough yet to be efficient. I generally shoot in manual mode including focus.

I'm currently learning with the d3300 but would like to upgrade in about 6 months to a year to either a Sony A7s or the Nikon 810.

My lighting currently consist of 3 inexpensive fluorescent bulb lights with their stands, 3 Yongnuo 560III manual flash guns with triggers and wireless controllers, a couple of shoot through umbrellas, 2 or 3 reflectors and a couple of dollars budgeted towards a few more lights if necessary.

I have some but very little experience with photoshop and none with the other software you mention.

Studio portraits? none yet but that will change very soon because I will be starting out with taking beautiful portraits of my awesomely supportive family and friends. Fortunately for me, there are plenty of these victims, I mean subjects to choose from ; )

I've been using macs for many years but I'm far from being any sort of super computer ninja guru.

I edit in final cut and can play around a bit with web design and that's about it.

As for the business side, I do hold a BA in Business administration but I realize that doesn't automatically equate to success in running a freelance photography company.

I will take your suggestion to read trough Pro Digital Talk.

Again thanks for the well wishes, but your feelings about me looking for a magic bullet is with all due respect, way off the mark. The reason I posted this question is because I'm currently looking to invest a bit in backgrounds so I simply wanted to know which option would be the most effective for me and my goals before investing in a background stand, muslins, background paper, software, etc.

My fast track comment was just to emphasize that because of my youthful age of 52, I don't have a lot of time to waste. I hope this helps to clear things up a bit. I've watched tutorials online by done by notable photographers who take the mystery out of professional quality photography. I admire some of these guys because of there positive attitudes towards photography, some go as far as to say "it's easy" they shoot beautiful portraits with one lite source, minimal equipment and there stuff looks great. They take the mystery out of photography and instead encourage the audience to shoot, learn and have fun.

I appreciate you wanting to spare me from the perils of setting goals like the lofty ones I have, without knowing the realities what it entails.  That's why I consult with you pros.   Thanks again to you guys, you've all been great!

Rafael

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow