ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
R V C
Regular MemberPosts: 409Gear list
Like?
NEED MORE REACH!! Need advice from birders
2 months ago

Hello

Would appreciate advice from GEAR OWNERS who have the lenses I am talking about. If not any other option for extended reach is appreciated.

I am a amateur birder and have EM1 and the 75-300 mkII. I am currently living in Malaysia where the canopy is high with lots of shadows.

Over time I have realized that, only reach is not enough, i need more light. I plan to buy the 300mm f4 when it comes out, but till then need something more (might be GAS not sure, I do feel the need for reach acutely)

Most of the birds are small and I am considering a lens with more reach. I have been looking at the following..

1) Sigma 50-500mm ( good reach, but i will be using it wide open, how is the sharpness at 500mm?) as compared to..my 75-300mm

2) 50-200 SWD with 2x TC ( focus speed and sharpness)

3) 90-250mm f2.8 oly SGH ( Sharpness with 2x tc, expensive so last on my list, plus i plan to buy the 300mm f4 when it comes out- (possible clash of fl?))

Would love your opinion, on how they perform individually and in comparison to the 75-300mm MKII that i have. (the 300mm SGH f2.8 is not an option, also need auto-focus)

Below are a few pictures with my 75-300mm MKII, the conditions were better than most of the times (more light).

1) Cropped

1) Uncropped

2) Cropped

2) Uncropped

-- hide signature --

"Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly until you learn to do it well."
-- Zig Ziglar
https://www.flickr.com/photos/126558841@N07/

R V C's gear list:R V C's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow