Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sherman_levine
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,247Gear list
Like?
FZ1000 better BIF results
4 months ago

Gulls at the beach on a sunny late afternoon.

Switched autofocus to a single area about 2/3 the size of the screen - big improvement in both speed and accuracy over 49-point autofocus

Turned off OIS - although I'm not sure how much different it made.

Shutter was 1/800 - 1/1000 in S mode with auto ISO

"M" burst speed with AFC (so live view was available for tracking)

Focus/Release priority = Focus.  I think that's important.

Using these settings, I could put the shutter button half way down with the bird far away and track it accurately as it flew toward me, then pressed all the way down to initiate the burst.

Focus wasn't always perfect - but was good enough for full screen viewing perhaps 80% of the time. Focus was sharp at 100% perhaps 20% of the time. Both of these are far better than I was getting with FZ200

In general, bursts ended because I couldn't track the bird when it got close, although autofocus accuracy persisted on the residual tail or wing. RDS would help under those circumstances.

The images below and on the next post are all at 100% (not downsized) although they're often cropped. They all begin from JPG with NR-5, sharpen -5, contrast -2 via PhotoNinja (because I forgot to put the camera back on RAW after I had used it for something else0

I could track flight all the way to landing

More on the next post

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow