Started 4 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Klarno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,596Gear list
Like?
E-M1: Ojito Wilderness and a limestone cave, monochrome
4 months ago

E-M1, 14-54 f/2.8-3.5 II and 11-22 f/2.8-3.5. Ojito Wilderness, a highly vegetated area of mesas, hoodoos and badlands out past Bernalillo, NM, in the same San Juan Basin that encompasses the Rio Puerco, Chaco Canyon and the Bisti-De Na Zin wilderness.

And a couple more, from a cave in the soda dam in the Jemez mountains:

I was soaked from head to toe in this cave, which is oddly in an independent structure entirely above ground (not sure where all the water on the roof is coming from). Thankful for drip sealing on the E-M1 and my lenses. My next lens purchase needs to be a drip-sealed macro, either the 50mm f/2.0 or the 60mm f/2.8 (the former with some extension tubes will net the same magnification ratio and might be a more useful lens for me in general, albiet slower to focus). Then again, based on my other recent photographic expeditions, my next lens purchase also needs to be a weather-sealed telephoto, like the 50-200...

Contrary to other reports, I actually consistently find that my E-M1 yields cleaner results with fewer hot pixels in long exposures than my E-PM2, using long exposure NR with both.

My usual black-and-white conversion is actually an action I have set up in Photoshop:

• Channel mixer adjustment layer, set to monochrome, and RGB +50%, +150%, -100%
  • Curves adjustment layer, with points created at 197,197 and 32,16, creating a high-contrast curve that focuses more on the shadows, leaving highlights completely alone and midtones mostly alone.
  • Selective color adjustment layer, neutrals set to cyan -5%-- red toning of midtones.

I do my dodging and burning as necessary on the color photograph in Lightroom.

In other news, protective filters are a good idea, at least judging by all the difficult-to-remove spots of evaporated limestone on my filters, for which the only real cure seems to be filtered water and elbow grease.

-- hide signature --
 Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 A3000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PM2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow