ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Cavig1
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
Hello, looking for fun so I took the a6000 plunge
4 months ago

Hi folks,

I used to post here a long, long time ago. So long ago, that there was only 1 Sony forum. The Sony Talk Forum. Matter of fact, there was only 1 forum for each manufacturer, back in '02 I owned some Sony "pro-sumer" cameras back then. The F-707, F-717 and F-828. I have to say, despite it's "Disney" colors and odd "look", that 707 was one FUN camera to shoot with. F2.0 -2.4 Zeiss lens wow! Add the ability to easily shoot in IR and I was hooked big time!  Most definitely the most FUN camera I have ever owned!

To make a long story a bit shorter, I moved to a 20D about 8 years ago and have shot a DSLR exclusively since (not counting smart phones...lol). Now after 50 years of shooting, I've started to lose my passion for it. It's just too much of a hassle shooting with a DSLR. Don't get me wrong, the results are great and for some types of shooting (low light action, birds in flight, etc...) they're had to equal. But when it's just walk around, vacation or family gathering shooting. The DSLR is just too damn big and complex.

Soooooooo, in an effort to try to get my photographic "muchness" back and to have fun when shooting again. I've donated $1500 to the photo gods @ B&H. In turn, they will send me an a6000 with the kit lens (too cheap to pass on), a 55-210 (on sale and adds some length) and the Sony 35mm f1.8 for a walkaround lens.

I do lots of color work for my job. So while not a measure-bator, I am sensitive to image quality. Perhaps overly sensitive So I have steeled myself for some image quality differences, betwen the a6000 and the 20D. Even though I only have 1 Canon L lens. I am used to nicely colored, sharp results. Without a lot of lens issues (my 828 had some killer purple fringing...lol)

With the 20D, I usually use aTamron 24-75 f2.8 (walk-around), a Canon 85mm 1.8 (sweet for headshots and low light action) and a 400mm F4L for birding (with a 1.4x, gets me close to 900mms). I don't shoot low light action much any more and if do, or if I want to shoot birds, I have the DSLR set up.  From what I have read, the Sony 35mm isn't bad, image quality-wise. But the other lenses aren't anything to write home about. Similar to kit and low priced DSLR lenses, so nothing new here. But everything I've read tells me that this set up has a decent chance of equaling that long lost feeling the 707 (and to a lesser extent) the 717 used to bring. Who says you can never go home?

So, what do you think. Did the old man hit it outta the park here? Or did he just mess his Depends again?...LOL

Thanks for any comments

Cavig1's gear list:Cavig1's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Sony a6000 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow