Capture NX-D: Truly useless junk or is negative feedback exaggerated?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NikonMan09
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?
Capture NX-D: Truly useless junk or is negative feedback exaggerated?
2 months ago

I would like to know the real story of the practical functionality of the new Nikon Capture NX-D software.  Much of the feedback I have seen about it on this site has been negative.  I also understand that Nikon couldn't renew the contract with the software company that made Capture NX-2 for them, meaning that Capture NX-D couldn't retain some unique features of Capture NX-2.  But I wonder, is the negativity expressed more sour grapes about some Capture NX-2 features not retained or is Capture NX-D in general truly a bad piece of software?  After all, Capture NX-D is freeware, and if it cost effectively can do many things Capture NX-2 could do, wouldn't there be advantages?

Historically, I have done very little RAW editing and tend to shoot mostly JPEG and leave it at that.  I have tended to use View NX2 at times for mild RAW editing.  I presently have the latest versions of View NX2 and Capture NX-D installed.  I like being able to work with the Nikon picture controls in RAW editing.  You loose this capability with Lightroom.  (Furthermore I hate Lightroom forcing you to work with a catalog for accessing files.)

Thanks for reading and commenting.

-- hide signature --

Fred
Shot Minolta SLR/DSLR and Sony DSLR 1978-2008. Switched to Nikon in 2009.

NikonMan09's gear list:NikonMan09's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
8bitNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow