Capture NX-D: Truly useless junk or is negative feedback exaggerated?

Started Aug 26, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NikonMan09
NikonMan09 Regular Member • Posts: 334
Capture NX-D: Truly useless junk or is negative feedback exaggerated?

I would like to know the real story of the practical functionality of the new Nikon Capture NX-D software.  Much of the feedback I have seen about it on this site has been negative.  I also understand that Nikon couldn't renew the contract with the software company that made Capture NX-2 for them, meaning that Capture NX-D couldn't retain some unique features of Capture NX-2.  But I wonder, is the negativity expressed more sour grapes about some Capture NX-2 features not retained or is Capture NX-D in general truly a bad piece of software?  After all, Capture NX-D is freeware, and if it cost effectively can do many things Capture NX-2 could do, wouldn't there be advantages?

Historically, I have done very little RAW editing and tend to shoot mostly JPEG and leave it at that.  I have tended to use View NX2 at times for mild RAW editing.  I presently have the latest versions of View NX2 and Capture NX-D installed.  I like being able to work with the Nikon picture controls in RAW editing.  You loose this capability with Lightroom.  (Furthermore I hate Lightroom forcing you to work with a catalog for accessing files.)

Thanks for reading and commenting.

-- hide signature --

Fred
Shot Minolta SLR/DSLR and Sony DSLR 1978-2008. Switched to Nikon in 2009.

NikonMan09's gear list:NikonMan09's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow