ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
COYQ
Regular MemberPosts: 453
Like?
Artist, scientist, or just a gear head?
4 months ago

Are you an artist or a scientist?

Photography is an art and a science. The idea of creating images appeals for many different reasons, but most visitors to this forum want to do more than merely record a snapshot.

Some threads are more about the science – matters of exposure, focal lengths, apertures. As photographers we need to understand the science too, in the same way that an artist needs to understand how to mix colours or use different mediums.

However, many threads – I’d say most threads - concentrate on purely technical matters – is lens A sharper than lens B, will I take better pictures if I buy a new camera etc. etc. Even worse, the constant discussion about what camera will come next, what features are needed and how anything else has become obsolete.

At the crux of the matter is the end product, the image, which seems to get lost in all the questioning about latest and greatest equipment.

I cured myself of the GAS affliction years ago by asking myself “what does the equipment I have prevent me from doing which this will allow me to do, and how much do I really need this solution”.

I recently went on a short trip away and as I wanted to travel as light as possible I didn’t take a camera, just my phone. It was fun using it along with a few different apps, and whilst there were times when I wished I’d had my ‘proper’ cameras with me, there weren’t many times I couldn’t get an interesting image with the phone camera (in fact I had lots of positive comments on photos I uploaded to Facebook).

When you are getting confused by upgrade options, newer models, adding more lenses or other gear I think that is a good time to step back and think creatively.

Ask not what your camera can do for you, but what can you do with your camera!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow