What new from Sony E-mount around Photokina?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
120 to 35
Contributing MemberPosts: 970
Like?
Re: What new from Sony E-mount around Photokina?
In reply to audiobomber, 2 months ago

audiobomber wrote:

nevercat wrote:

audiobomber wrote:

captura wrote:

audiobomber wrote:

spacemn wrote:

Unfortunately there are no other 55mm f/1.8 so it is pretty hard to compare, but it is much more compact than the high-end 50-58mm lenses, that are also a little faster.

I must apologize, I was thinking the EF55mm was larger than it is. I just looked at the link with the 55mm mounted on the a6000 and it is quite a reasonable size, and especially weight.

The SEL50mm though, is oversized.

-- hide signature --

Dan

Nah, it's MUCH smaller than the FE55.

No, it's a little bit smaller. Now compare it to anyone else's 50mm f1.8. It's comparatively huge.

You are right, compared with the cheap 50mm lenses from other brands the high end Sony 55 mm f1.8 is huge!

Please re-read what I said above, "The SEL50mm though, is oversized". Nowhere have I compared the FE55mm to the cheap nifty fifties. I specifically corrected you on this point once before in this conversation, yet here you are again, misrepresenting me.

But what happens when we put them om a camera? Here you find a comparisson between the Pentax K7 with the Pentax 55mm f1.4 lens and the Sony A6000 with the 55mm f1.8. I know what combination I would like to carry for a whole day (over a kilo compared to 525 grams).

Once again, you are arguing against something I specifically said I am not claiming. You do NOT have to compare a lens in combination with its camera, because Sony could bother to design a lens that is not oversized, just like the competition does. If Sony offered a 50mm f1.8 that was half the size and equivalent in performance, no one would ever buy a SEL50mm again. Now imagine it was equivalent in performance, half the size, AND half the price, as others' are.

The cheap Canon and Nikon lenses are not as good as the Sony lens (look here to compare them ) You will see that the Sony lens is the only lens that realy has f1.8 in transmission, the Sony lens is way, way sharper then the other two lenses. So it is hard to compare aplles with grapes, size is different (grapes are smaller then apples).

You are repeating something I already stated, that the FE55mm should not be compared to cheap 50mm f1.8 lenses. Here's the comparison I am making. The SEL50mm is twice the size of anyone else's 50mm 1.8, and not a better lens.

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-AF-S-Nikkor-50mm-F18G-on-Nikon-D5300-versus-Sony-E-50mm-F18-OSS-versus-Pentax-smc-DA-50mm-F18-on-Pentax-K-3___435_919_745_0_965_914

-- hide signature --

Dan

The SEL50mm is certainly longer than the Nikon or Pentax lens and it weighs slightly more.

But this lens has to be longer because it attaches to the camera at 18mm to the sensor, while the other lenses attach at over 40mm to the sensor. An additional 28mm adapter must be added to the Nikon lens to attach to a Sony body. The Sony lens also includes optical image stabilization which the other two lack. This feature requires extra floating components inside the lens which tend to add to the overall length. Other lenses you mention, including the Sony 55mm, lack stabilization.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
A7xNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow