Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RS_RS
Senior MemberPosts: 1,483
Like?
On my phone, not on my camera. Why not?
2 months ago

Some aspects of camera technology are seriously failing to keep up with developments that mobile phones show to be perfectly possible.

1. My phone has a microUSB 3.0 connector and can be connected as a USB 3.0 client. It can be charged through that port, indeed that is the way you do charge it. It can have an OTG cable with either a microUSB 2.0 or 3.0 connector plugged into it, and then act as a USB 2.0 host, providing enough power to connect simultaneously through a USB-powered hub to a card reader and an exFAT HDD. Alternatively I can plug in an MHL cable and use the port for HDMI output.

… whereas …

My camera has a miniUSB 2.0 port allowing the camera to be a USB 2.0 client and also providing audio output and a separate HDMI port.

2. My phone screen is a 1920×1080 AMOLED, reasonably visible in bright daylight

… whereas …

my camera rear screen is 640×480 LED, hard to see in bright daylight.

OK, so the phone is a new model and the camera, a 5D Mark III, was introduced a few years ago, but I don't see much sign of progress since then. New generation cameras should have a 1920×1280 AMOLED (or equally good) screen, and the sort of connectivity that my phone offers. After all, it would save a port for the manufacturers, eliminating the need for a separate HDMI port.

Why are camera manufacturers so far behind in these areas?

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow