Anyone Who Used Both X100s and Sony RX1?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sener
Regular MemberPosts: 210Gear list
Like?
Anyone Who Used Both X100s and Sony RX1?
2 months ago

I know, one has EVF and one does not. Let's put that aside. There are solutions for that.

I have been using an X100s for quite some time. While I am quite pleased with its compactness, looks and files, I haven't been the happiest with its moody, temperamental AF and close-up performance.

Actually, I wanted an RX1 at first, but then I did not have the funds. I always want to use a FF sensor, because I can exploit it better for my hobby style. But then the Fuji has its own kind of magic colors with its output, so that held me down for some time. But the AF. I shoot a lot of street and at evenings and nights too, so there are many times when the X100s AF frustrated me with its indecision and hunting to and fro. Even in daylight, sometimes. I know to change the AF box size, don't start with that.

Now that the RX1 prices are lower, I am re-considering it. I see it has better high ISO performance and dynamic range, which are quite big plusses for me. And I can do more subject separation.

In street shooting I don't do AF-C or tracking. But fast AF-S is important for catching scenes.

But in the reviews I got the impression that its AF would not be much better than the X100s. But I don't want to go by reviews, so I am seeking user reports. The RX1 is quite a niche camera, hence very few users.

So anyone who can advise me, objectively?

Thanks very much in advance.

Sener's gear list:Sener's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Fujifilm X100S Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow