Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,408Gear list
Like?
UWA for FX 18 zeiss?
2 months ago

I'm looking for something to use with my zeiss 35mm f2 for doing some landscape shooting this fall. I know the zeiss 21 is good but I'm considering the 18 for several reasons. The obvious first one is it's wider. I also own the 28mm f1.8g so if the 18 is too wide, I can always use it, but my plan is to use either the 18 or the 35. The other reason is the 18 is lighter, smaller and cheaper than the 21. I likely will be mostly shooting around f8 on a heavy tripod etc so not sure the 21 would be that much better optically.

I have considered the 18-35, it's cheaper/lighter than the zeiss and I'd only plan to use it in the 18-24mm range where it looks to be good. Given the same "I'm shooting at f8ish" rule, it should be ok optically.

I guess what has me leaning to the zeiss is the images I see from this lens seem to have better color saturation and a certain pop to them. This is the same reason I picked the 35mm f2 zeiss over the other options.  I'd love to hear from anyone who has used the 18 and also have used the baby nikon zoom.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow