Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gregbartgis
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?
Photography in the twenty first century
3 weeks ago

I've wondered at the real difference that digital cameras have made to photography in this century relative to the last. The synopsis comes to this: that the photographers of the first half of the twentieth century worked hand in hand with both camera and film manufacurers to eliminate the camera and its ancillary devices and accessories as impediments to artistic vision. The modern (twenty first century) digital camera and its ancillary devices and accesories has been allowed to accomplish exactly the opposite. To whit, the photographer has become a slave to his camera. So much is proven by the reliance on technology and devices to "create" images pleasing to the eye . One of the effects of the introduction of the mirrorless camera has been to liberate the photographer from the tyranny of the mirror. I argued to this effect with a friend over dinner. He's an old time photo journalist from the film age - as am I - who has converted to digital and uses Nikon digitals and is trying to be happy with the results. We both used Nikons in our work as film photographers. I took an almost twenty year hiatus from photography while he persisted. Coming almost as a beginner into the digital era I was very reluctant to accept digital cameras as valid simply due to the disproportionate weight and incredible cost of the digital equivalents of what I'd been used to and the overwhelming number of choices of relatively worthless options in the extensive menu systems of these cameras. As I become acclimated to digital and have accepted that this is where photography and the modern mind is attuned, I still do wonder if the camera and media manufacturers are actually listening to us - or are we adapting to suit their limitations? Seems to me that the means - ie the manufacturers- are now shaping the future, rather than us prompting them to adapt to real world needs. Photo journalists in the present age seem to be photographing according to the limitations imposed by the equipment rather than photographing in the moment without limitation.

Olympus is king where Nikon and Canon dropped the ball - or, as the ad says, "Ditch the DSLR!".

gregbartgis's gear list:gregbartgis's gear list
Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +38 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow