Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
knickerhawk
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,297
Like?
Check this before you go full frame...
2 months ago

It's the dog days of summer, so why not another thread sure to stir up the passions? Check out this interesting blog post  by Ming Thein in response to a suggestion I made to him. It struck me that he was in a rather unique position to illustrate how much or how little the size/cost of the equipment being used contributes to the quality of the images being produced. Since Ming is an outstanding photographer in his own right and does careful, in-depth reviews of a wide range of cameras (including medium format) AND also applies a consistent processing method to images he produces in those reviews, I was curious to see how easy/difficult it is to determine the format being used in his images. Go check out Ming's blog post and respond to the poll and see for yourself. If your reaction to the images is anything like mine was, it might just reinforce your decision to go small with m4/3 or perhaps give you pause before jumping ship to full frame in the never-ending chase for better IQ.

(And for all full frame fans: yes, I fully realize the size of the images being presented makes a big difference.  Of course, many already understand how critical output size is to this issue.  Others, however, insist that they can nevertheless detect the ineffable advantage of full frame or larger formats even at the size of the presented images.  Those are the "true believers" who really need to take the challenge.)

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow