Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
M35G35
Regular MemberPosts: 176Gear list
Like?
Re: Going FF(?)
In reply to Elti87, 3 weeks ago

Elti87 wrote:

M35G35 wrote:

Certainly cost is going to be a factor. It has taken me a few years to get to this point. I have a D800E and just acquired a Df, magnificent images from that camera. I have three lenses for landscape photography, 16-35G/f4, 24-120G/f4 and the 80-400G/VRIII. Now through my PC in the backpack it is near 24lbs that I am carrying through the airport. There are several other items in the bag, i.e. SB800 flash, filters, batteries and chargers and some minor parts. I would forgo 24-70/f2.8 or any f2.8 lenses for landscapes. Adds weight and cost. The 18-35G is lightweight and cost less than the 16-35G/f4 and probably a tad better images. My D800E has a battery grip that adds additional weight. I don't know why I carry it around for landscapes? Hope this gives some thoughts. Good luck on your decision.

besides cost and weight, is there any other reason you would forgo f2.8 lenses?

If I understand your requirements, yes. f2.8 is not really needed for landscapes. Certainly it could be used, however, the f4 lenses do just fine and save on the weight. If weight is not an issue, it is for me, by all means f2.8 is the way to go. If speed is needed and landscapes are what you plan on doing, another recommendation would be 24mm and 105mm. Two outstanding primes and fast. I have the 105mm and the images are tack sharp. I do not have the 24mm and have heard great things about that lens.

Up until now, i really feel dependent on my 35 f1.8 lens for night images. I dont have any fast lenses except for that and i'd really love to have one that could allow me to take hand held shots at night as well

Better yet, the 18-35G does a great job. While on landscape classes, that lens is quickly becoming very popular. Even some of the pro's are using the lens.

M35G35's gear list:M35G35's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow