Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ssscomp2
Forum MemberPosts: 91Gear list
Like?
A rather common quandary
4 months ago

So, has anyone had any or even all of the below (doubtful). I am getting the A77ii and I understand that each is a compromise and each has its pros and cons. But I am going to get one of the three and would be GREATLY interested in the opinion of anyone who has actually been there.

1.     Sony 18-250 f3.5-6.3 DT Alpha A-Mount lens

2.     Sigma 18-250 F3/5-6/3 DC Macro HSM with the SONY Alpha mount

3.     Tamron 16-300 with the SONY Alpha Mount.

The Sony has the advantage, I think, that the camera will recognize it and correct some CA and other issues in the JPEGS but not sure that it has its own internal focusing motor. If not I would imagine that it would be louder and possibly slower in focus.

The Sigma may not be recognized by the camera to correct CA and other issues in JPEGS. Focus speed and sharpness?

The Tamron may also not be recognized and not sure as to the sharpness.

I anticipate that I will put the lens on the camera and leave it on forever. Have gone through the 5DMII, 7D, 60D, 70D, GH2, GH3. I know, I'm obsessed but so be it. Gotten rid of all my L lenses and just want to carry one camera, one lens and live the simple life Tried the EM-1 and that is a possibility but I did like the A77ii and the slightly larger sensor.

Of importance to me mostly is focus speed and sharpness. Distortion I can correct later if need be. Won't print anything larger than 11X14 and may not print at all.

I have read just about all there is to read on the net (so why can't I find out if the Sony has an internal focus motor or not? Don't know) but I value the opinions of those who have used the lenses as much or more than the opinions of those who have tested them.

Anyway, thanks in advance to any input you can provide.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow