Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
britcam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,055Gear list
Like?
In favour of the 18-55
1 month ago

I often see posts where a Fuji prime is favoured over the 18-55, with some preferring to buy a body only before selecting a prime such as the 14 (for landscape) or the 56 for portraits and so on ..

When I anticipate being in a specific shooting situation, I will take a prime along that I know will do the best job eg the 35 for low light or shallow DOF. But if its a general outing with nothing predetermined, the 18-55 is always taken, along with the 55-200. That gives OIS with both lenses ...

I happened to stop near some fairly down at heel out of town streets last week - sort of industrial decay, and thought it was worth spending time exploring. I used just the 18-55, and as a result could capture a very wide range of subjects, from slightly wide to slightly long ... varying DOF and effect as needed. And since the resolution of the 18-55 is so good, I could crop easily in PP to get the exact framing I wanted. I was standing across the street for most of these, so zooming with my feet wasn't exactly an option ..

Here are some examples, the point being that since while this is labelled a "kit" lens, it has great flexibility, & fully deserves more use than I suspect it gets ...

-- hide signature --

Regards
Rich S (britcam)

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-A1 +10 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow