Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nramsey
Regular MemberPosts: 124Gear list
Like?
FZ1000 outdoor "real world" ISO test
3 weeks ago

In my continued experimentation with my new FZ1000, I was out watching for birds in my backyard.  They are scarce this weekend!  So in the absence of live targets, I decided to experiment with ISO to see what my max "usable" ISO setting would be.  Consider my socks knocked off!  To skip ahead to the conclusion, I find that even ISO 25,600 can produce usable results if absolutely needed if you're willing to do a bit of PP for noise reduction, sharpness, etc.  So on to the images.

These were taken with me sitting in a chair on our deck, about 30 feet from the feeder, with a ~10 MPH breeze blowing, hand held.  So the sharpness on a few of the low ISO/shutter speed shots is a bit weak, but I was primarily testing for noise.  These are all full size shots, converted to 90% quality JPG from RAW using the defaults of Lightroom 5.6.

ISO 80

ISO 100

ISO 125

ISO 200

ISO 400

ISO 800

ISO 1600

ISO 3200

ISO 6400

ISO 12,800

ISO 25,600

Now, that last one is pretty grainy and a bit dark.  So I wanted to see how much I could salvage from that shot, if that was my 1 in a million shot of Sasquatch or something!  So I adjusted exposure by +1/3 EV, and added "70" of Luminance Noise Reduction in Lightroom.

ISO 25,600 with +1/3 EV and Noise Reduction Luminance +70 in Lightroom

I would say that that could be used for that one in a million shot where you had no other option to capture the shot any other way.

Very impressed with this camera!!!

-- hide signature --
 nramsey's gear list:nramsey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow