My internal Sony / Canon debate...Any thoughts?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
crashwins
Regular MemberPosts: 141
Like?
My internal Sony / Canon debate...Any thoughts?
2 months ago

Wanting to get into a cheaper system for both video and stills, I dumped my Canon in order to get a Sony, particularly the A7s. With the rolling shutter issue, I'm going to hold off. Amazing camera, but a lot of money. That said, my thinking was this: grab the a5100 (has the new Sony codec) for video and maybe a used A7 down the road for stills. That amazing AF on the a5100/a6K has me hooked on this system. This body and the 16-50 and 50 1.8 OSS combo would kick butt IMO for a low-stakes video setup.

For stills I don't shoot action, just portraits, landscapes, stuff like that. My concern is buying into the lens system. The A7 looks awesome, but grabbing the 55 1.8 is probably too many beans for me. I'd like to grab glass for both systems, the a5100 and A7. The Canon FDs look great on the A7, but I can't find any examples of these (or much in the way of legacy glass) for portraits, skin tones..mostly just landscapes, buildings, cars, etc. My other option would be to buy a Rokinon or two for both systems, like the 85 or 35. One thing I see a lot of here is people use their A7/r/s to complement Leica or other M-mount glass. I don't have any so I wonder if picking one up makes any sense.

So, is this a foolish idea? Should I just grab the a5100 for video and something like the 6D and a 50 or 85 for my stills (and, I could use Rokinons and Canon glass on both systems in this case). I guess I was hoping to finally get a small mirrorless FF, but I need something good for the studio and solid portraits (think weddings). Sorry for the run-on - much to consider here! Thanks much for reading

Canon EOS 6D Sony a5100 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow