Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tony22
Regular MemberPosts: 357
Like?
Need a new fixed lens cam with certain features
3 months ago

I go to trade shows a number of times a year where items of various sizes (from small desktop items to large furniture sized items) are displayed in spaces ranging from small hotel rooms to hotel meeting rooms. I've been using a Canon G9 for many years and it's served me pretty well but I've since come to the conclusion I need some refinements in a camera I'd use.

The first is a wider lens. I need to get to 24 or 26mm I think, for being able to get all of a cramped display of larger items when in a small hotel room. The next is I still need a reasonable long range to take care of meeting sized hotel rooms when I can't make my way to the front. I'm not sure 90mm would be enough, but I don't want to compromise image quality by going too far into the megazoom range. The 210mm end of the G9 is nice. Size is also important - pocketable in a large pocket or able to carry in a small belt case. As wide a maximum aperture as I can get, as large a sensor as I can get given the size. Excellent JPG quality / colors preferred but if I have to use RAW then it should be there to at least be able to get a decent output. Video is a nice feature but not the primary goal. Decent flash for the size of course.

I know such a cam that is perfect in all these areas does not exist so compromises will be necessary. I can go with a slightly older cam if needed. Price limit is well under $1K - ideally under $500.

Looked at the Canon G1 X MkII, the S200, S120, Nikon P340, Sony HX50V, a couple of others. The P340 is supposed to have poor JPG color performance, suggesting I'd have to process everything using the RAW images to get correct color output. That could get annoying. The G1 X MkII is supposed to have a soft lens... I don't know. Would like to get some recommendations. I've looked at the test images here and at Imaging Resource but my head is just spinning at this point.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow