Trading Pan 20mm F1.7 for Oly 25mm F1.8 for GM1?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Albert
Contributing MemberPosts: 720
Like?
Trading Pan 20mm F1.7 for Oly 25mm F1.8 for GM1?
2 months ago

I bought a Panasonic GM1, and I love the thing.  It's seriously portable!  Took it with my to a indoor playground and shoot about 50 shots of my kids; my wife did as well; and that's something she refuses to do with my big Nikon D600.  The indoor lighting while "bright" to the eyes wasn't really that bright, and so I had brought the Panasonic 20mm F1.7 instead of the kit lens.  The images were very sharp... WHEN THEY WERE IN FOCUS.  The focusing speed was quite frustrating; a 2 year old and a 4 year olds were not what the lens designers had in mind when they designed the AF speed on this.  And what's more disappointing is that the version 2 isn't any faster.

So I'm going to the store tomorrow and will bring the 20mm with me, and want to try it side by side with the Olympus 25mm F1.8.  I hear that thing is about as sharp as the 20mm and lightening fast focusing.  From the images online, I think the bokeh is more pleasing as well..

So question, I'm hoping someone who has a GM1 and 20mm combo; and then switched up to the Olympus 25mm f1.8 can comment... Because my wife has given me a raised eyebrow on buying a small camera so it's portable; and then wanting to change out the pancake for a bigger lens...

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow