Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jason zaloga
Forum MemberPosts: 65Gear list
Like?
D300 and SB800
4 months ago

I just bought the SB800 and popped it on my D300. Never ever used a speedlight before and reset the speedlight, (purchased from craigslist. Like new).

I'm sitting in my office taking random photos of an Aleve bottle, just trying to figure out the flash.

I had to buy a manual off of e-bay as the manual did not come with the purchase. Not here yet.

The D300 menu setting for the flash is manual full power, camera is in manual mode and the Sb800 is in manual mode at 1/4 power, with the flash pointing straight up or slightly bent forward. When I take a photo it looks ok. But when I start to change my shutter speed to be faster nothing happens to the exposure. Only when it hits 400th of a second does it become darker. Is this a camera setting or flash setting. How can I shoot in manual mode and be able to change both the shutter speed and aperture then just change the flash output? This seems to be a beginner question but I have never used a speedlight before and I am scratching my head. Any help on either the D300 and Sb800 menu settings for shooting manual and operating the flash manually. Thanks

jason zaloga's gear list:jason zaloga's gear list
Nikon D300 +2 more
ANSWER:
Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow